Posts Tagged ‘Open Gardens’
Posted by editor on Saturday, 21 September 2013
Come to The Garden House and support the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning, Macmillan Cancer Support’s biggest fundraising event, where donations on the day are made to Macmillan. In 2012 115,000 people signed up to coffee morning, raising a record £15 million.
Have coffee and cakes with us, and bring your friends!
There will be a variety of stalls selling plants, jams and chutneys, mosaics and handcrafted and knitted items. Open 11am to 3pm.
Location: The Garden House, 5 Warleigh Road, Brighton BN1 4NT.
Posted by editor on Thursday, 29 August 2013
This Sunday 1 September we highly recommend that you visit the 3rd annual Sussex Prairie Garden Unusual Plant and Art fair. Garden owners Paul and Pauline McBride will be hosting a record number of stalls selling unusual plants, garden accessories and art for your garden.
Specialist nurseries include: Hardy’s Cottage Garden Plants, Nymans Nursery, Phoenix Perennial Plants, Rapkyns Nursery, Usual & Unusual Plants, Blueleaf Plants and many, many others.
We’ll be there too, so do come along and say hello – and find out about upcoming garden House workshops and courses!
For exhibitor listing and layout of stands CLICK HERE.
The fair will be open from 11am to 5pm on Sunday 1st September 2013. There is ample free on site parking.
Entrance to the fair is included in your garden entry for the day – adults £6, children £3. Family ticket £15 for two adults and up to 3 children all visiting together.
RHS members are offered a 20% discount to the fair, so will be asked to pay £4.80 on presentation of their RHS card.
Sussex Prairies Garden, Morlands Farm, Wheatsheaf Road (B2116), Near Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9AT www.sussexprairies.co.uk 0044 (0)1273 495902
Posted by editor on Monday, 22 July 2013
SAVE THE DATE – our friends Steve and John are having an Open Garden and Pop-Up Cafe in aid of the Parkinson’s charity – 28th July, I Belton Close, BN2 3RY – do go along and support!
Posted by editor on Monday, 13 May 2013
Having invited several of the best Sussex nurseries along to bring along many of their wonderful and often ‘hard to get hold of’ plants – trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, vegetables and succulents – to The Garden House Plant Fair, we had our fingers crossed for clement weather.
Well, as is typical in spring, the weather was sunny, but at times also chilly and windy, with a bit of rain thrown in for luck! Fortunately gardeners are a hardy lot, and tempted by great plants, all manner of garden paraphernalia, beautiful woodblock prints, a plant swop – and the most delicious homemade food at the pop-up café! – we were happily inundated with visitors.
This was our opportunity to join in the spirit of the Brighton Festival and it was a wonderful weekend – our thanks to all the nurseries and exhibitors who took part and to all our helpers and friends.
Fiona Wemyss of Blue Leaf Plants in Kent (Garden House workshop on 7 June, see DIARY) www.blueleafplants.co.uk
Bruce Jordan of Big Plant Nursery near Steyning www.bigplantnursery.co.uk
Pauline and Paul McBride of Sussex Prairies (Garden House workshop on 28 Sept, see DIARY) www.sussexprairies.co.uk
Plantsman Paul Seabourne (will be selling plants again at the Garden House 29/30 June)
Deborah in charge at the very busy pop-up cafe!
Vicky watering in the greenhouse – packed with annuals and vegetable seedlings!
Posted by editor on Tuesday, 10 July 2012
The Garden House will be hosting its annual charity event, as always in aid of a local charity. This year we are supporting Brighton & Hove Sands, a small group which relies heavily on the dedication of its valued volunteers to provide the level of services that parents and their families need when they experience the death of their baby. Part of a national charity, Sands (Stillbirth & Neonatal Death Society), the Brighton & Hove group provide support in the Brighton, Hove and Worthing areas.
The group support bereaved parents and families by phone, email or face to face. They also run group meetings once a month at locations in Hove and Worthing, where bereaved parents can share their thoughts, feelings and experiences. More information on the group can be found on their website, www.brightonandhovesands.co.uk
B & H Sands supports both Brighton’s Princess Royal, and Worthing hospitals by funding and supplying memory boxes to all bereaved parents, and providing national Sands training to local healthcare professionals. One of their aims is to be able to fund and supply a new type of cold cot to each hospital which allows parents to take their babies home, or spend longer with them whilst in hospital.
If you would like to donate anything to our auction or if you would like to have a stall at this event then please let us know ASAP – stalls cost £20 (For SANDS).
Afternoon Open Garden:
- Opens 2pm – £2 entrance per adult (children free) – tea, cakes and stalls
- 4.30 pm – the Grand Auction – amazing items to bid for – see list below!
- Supper will be served at 7pm – £20 for three courses, wine available by donation – this will be a sit down supper with waiter/waitress service (menu below).
- To book a table please email us or call on 07729037182 for a booking form – places are limited so please contact us ASAP!
Hummus and baba ganoush dips with bread and olives
Gazpacho or hot seasonal soup (weather dependent!) with Real Patisserie bread
Roasted Vegetable Couscous with Harissa-style Dressing .
Fish pie with dill and a seasonal salad
Fresh raspberry trifle
ITEMS FOR AUCTION:
- Holiday home in North Norfolk – sleeps up to 15 converted old chapel with luxury accommodation – limited availability during school holidays
- Stay in two bedroom villa in Fuerteventura – sleeps four – with pool
- Stay in stone cottage in Skye – sleeps 5 – limited availability during school holidays
- Kate Osborne watercolour framed print of hens
- Voucher for four donated by Southern Water, for the famous Brighton Sewer Tour
- Two seats in Amex stadium box for one Brighton and Hove Albion football match, courtesy of Southern Water
- Haircut by Nikki Ward
- Herbal skin care kit made by local herbalist
- Bushcraft activity experience at Stanmer Park for up 10 children – aged 7 -11 years with experienced leader
- Two volume RHS plant encyclopedia
- Italian taster lesson
- Home made vegetarian meal for four delivered to your home (Brighton and Hove)
- Home made Greek meal for up to 6 people in the Garden house
- 2 hours gardening from four members of the Friday group
- Half a days gardening from approx 15 people to transform your garden
Location: The Garden House, 5 Warleigh Road, Brighton BN1 4NT.
Please come along and support this very worthwhile charity.
Posted by editor on Sunday, 13 November 2011
MARK THE DATE! Saturday 26 November, 12 – 5pm. Come and buy your Christmas presents while enjoying home-made food, lunches and teas, mulled wine and festive delights as well as carol singing.
- yummy Christmas breads, cakes and preserves
- beautiful plants, bulbs and seeds
- marvelous mosaics
- gorgeous knits
- stunning jewellery
- amazing art
- stylish ceramics
- hand-crafted gifts for the gardener
And a whole lot more besides! Enjoy a wonderful festive afternoon – bring friends and family to The Garden House, 5 Warleigh Road, Brighton BN1 4NT
Posted by editor on Thursday, 22 September 2011
NEW! Starting Friday 23rd September, every Friday from 3-6pm we’ll be opening our garden gates and inviting you to enjoy our Pop Up Garden Shop!
We’ll be selling seasonal fruits and vegetables, a great selection of plants, seeds, preserves, eggs (from our own chickens!), mosaic gifts and other garden paraphernalia.
We have a large range of garden books and magazines in our cosy Garden Room – you are welcome to browse and enjoy a relaxing cup of tea and some delicious homemade cake – and of course ask all your gardening questions!
This week’s seasonal produce: apples (cooking and dessert) and pears all picked in our garden.
We look forward to seeing you!
Location: The Garden House, 5 Warleigh Road, Brighton BN1 4NT
Posted by editor on Wednesday, 6 July 2011
Come along to our Charity Auction at 6.30pm on Friday 8 July! Below is a list of some of the FANTASTIC items to be auctioned – if you are unable to come you can email us a silent bid!
The auction is always great fun and all proceeds go to charity. This year we’re supporting the Pulmonary Hypertension Association. The PHA UK is the only charity in the UK supporting people affected by pulmonary hypertension; a serious condition that causes damage to the heart and lungs, and which can affect people of all ages, race and gender.
1. Luxury converted chapel in North Norfolk – sleeps up to 12 – beautiful location, near beaches and fantastic walks and restaurants. Available for one week, dates negotiable (not in school holidays!).
2. House in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands – sleeps 4 – own gardens and communal pool. Available for one week, dates negotiable (anytime in the year). See www.villagecko.co.uk for more details.
3. Our infamous Friday Gardening group will come and transform your garden – up to 15 people for 5 hours gardening – all experienced and keen!
4. Men’s Wimbledon towel – as used on centre court by Novak Djokovic to wipe his brow!
5. Painting by Angie Bonnel: gold ink drawing from her nature series, entitled “Umbelliferae”.
6. Mosaic mirror by local artist Sue Samways.
7. Aromatherapy massage.
8. Three course vegetarian meal for four delivered to your door (local only) – delicious!
9. Screen print by Gary Goodman: a limited edtion hand-pulled screen-print printed at Artizan Editions and signed by artist Gary Goodman. Local artist Gary Goodman was inspired to create a new piece of work around the principles of liberty, freedom and democracy when he heard that Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese leader, human rights advocate and Nobel Peace laureate was to be the Guest Director of the Brighton Festival 2011. Taking her plea to ‘use your liberty to promote ours’, Gary has co-created with Artizan Editions, an original screenprint which features a colourful bird and reflects the themes of liberty and freedom. Gary’s new print has drawn on these symbols to create a mythical bird using a colour palate with influences from Brighton and Burma. Launched at Brighton Festival 2011.
10. Golf lesson at Hollingbury Park Golf Club – clubs provided!
11. Chiropractic assessment and treatment by Karen Swirsky.
12. Hair cut by Nikki Ward.
13. Signed copy of novel by Julia Widdows – and your name as a character in her next book – you chose if you are a goodie or a baddie!
14. Oil painting by Aine King called Silent House.
15. Two x 1-hour stress management coaching sessions with an qualified, experienced practitioner.
16. Facilitate an evening of French dancing.
17. A delightful tray of toiletries.
18. Painting by Phil Cole using polyester resin on wood.
19. Yves St Laurent ‘Paris’ perfume set.
20. Sunday roast dinner for two at The Foundry pub (vouchers).
Location: The Garden House, 5 Warleigh Road, Brighton BN1 4NT.
Posted by editor on Monday, 4 July 2011
Fancy cocktails in the garden?! The Garden House would like to invite you to our annual charity event. We’ll be opening on Friday 8 July for two sessions – an afternoon of tea, scrumptious cakes and plant and craft stalls – and an evening that includes cocktails, a buffet supper and live Irish music!
The charity we’re supporting this year is the Pulmonary Hypertension Association. The PHA UK is the only charity in the UK supporting people affected by pulmonary hypertension; a serious condition that causes damage to the heart and lungs, and which can affect people of all ages, race and gender. For more information www.phassociation.uk.com
Afternoon event: starts at 3.30pm, entrance to the garden between 3.30pm and 6.30pm will be £2, children free. We’ll have tea and cakes as well as craft and plant stalls.
Evening event: starts at 6.30pm, at which time we will have an auction – a silent bid is possible and all items will be displayed on our website later this week.The auction will be followed by a delicious buffet supper - and cocktails, on sale from 8pm! To entertain you we will have live Irish music played by the excellent Mandy Murray, Ben Paley and Jim Burch, who are very well known in Brighton.
The cost of the evening, which includes a buffet supper and a glass of wine, is £15 and if you want to bring along some friends you can book a table in advance. Please send us an email or call 07729037182 to book.
If you would like to have a stall do let us know – a stall costs £20. We are still looking for items for the auction so do tell us if you can donate something.
It’ll be a great evening, and all in a very good cause – we look forward to seeing you!