6-Session Propagation Course
Wednesday 12th February
This exciting new 6-week course will cover the principles of propagation – both vegetative and from seed – for conifers, shrubs, pond plants, rockery plants, ornamental border plants (perennials, biennials and annuals), trees and bulbs.
Each week will focus on a specific method of propagation and participants will be able to take propagules each week to grow on at home (propagule: a vegetative structure that can become detached from a plant and give rise to a new plant, e.g. a bud, sucker, or spore).
- Seed sowing – flowers and vegetables -it is hoped that participants will be able to share what they have grown from seed, therefore giving people the chance to grow a range of hardy and half hardy annuals for either a cutting patch or containers
- Seed collection and storage, special treatments, including stratification of berries
- Grafting – have a go at grafting scions on to rootstocks
- Cuttings – learn the principles of softwood, semi-ripe and hardwood cuttings, nodal, internodal, basal and leaf bud cuttings to increase stock in your garden –there will be a wide range of shrubs and herbaceous perennials to take your cuttings from and we will discuss how to improve your chances of success
- Learn how to care for your seedlings, pricking out and growing on seeds that participants have grown to share.
- Leaf Cuttings – learn the magic of propagation from leaf cuttings – how to increase Streptocarpus, Gloxinia and Begonias
- Division – learn how to divide and propagate a range of grasses and herbaceous perennials as well how to take root cuttings
It is advisable that participants purchase a heated propagator for maximum success. Nearer the time we can suggest what type to buy.
The course will run from 10:00 – 13:00 and sharp secateurs, a knife and a fine point permanent pen will be required for the course
Cost: £350 per person, to include refreshments.
Date: Wednesday mornings – 12 and 26 February, then 4, 11, 18 and 25 March 2020
PLEASE BOOK ONLINE. If you are unable to pay online, please contact us to find out about alternative ways of paying
Venue: The Garden House, 5 Warleigh Road, Brighton BN1 4NT
Back to all Events & Courses